Bedford Athletic 61 Lutterworth 27

Bedford Athletic defeated Lutterworth 61 points to 27 in a convincing home victory.

The result sees Bedford Athletic secure six wins from their opening six matches heading into the first mid season break, and stay top of the Midlands One East table.

Harry Sawford-Smith secured the kick off and when play was switched to the right wing Stephen Woodhead found the gap to open the scoring on 23 seconds. Leo Mortimer added the conversion as he did four minutes later when scrum half Mike Trigg took a quick tap penalty and scythed through the visiting defence to find prop Ben Thompson in support for the try. The home side failed to exit properly following the next kick off and a period of pressure led to a Lutterworth penalty kicked by Tom Hooper on 10 minutes. Better was to follow for the visitors as they won a lineout just inside their own half and opened up the middle of the home defence for their first try finished off by Conor Warburton. Bedford Athletic responded when Steve Smith broke through the defence following an attacking lineout for a converted try on 18 minutes and the try bonus point was secured on 25 minutes when captain James Wallace finished off another pacy move for the score and a 28 points to 8 lead. Once again though failure to exit their own half from the kick off was to cost the home side as they conceded a scrum and when no.8 Josh Connor picked up and charged forward, his blindside flanker Harry Wood was on hand to score Lutterworth’s second try, this time converted by Hooper. Bedford Athletic responded by once again finding space in the wide channels following an attacking lineout and Archie Duncan crossed for the first of his three tries, again converted by Mortimer. The final eight minutes of the half were pivotal as Lutterworth were gifted possession close to the home side’s line but despite a series of scrums and close quarter drives they were repelled and it was Bedford Athletic who had the last score of the half when an attacking lineout led to a sweeping backs move touched down by Woodhead. Mortimer’s conversion meant they led 42-15 at half time.

Bedford Athletic maintained the attacking intensity at the start of the second half and although the first wave was repelled they soon found space down the right wing for Josh Cassell to exploit and score. Lutterworth responded with another series of close range pick and drives and eventually Warburton sniped over again for the try under the posts. The next Bedford Athletic attack saw Harry Sawford-Smith put Archie Duncan into acres of space and he ran unopposed to the posts to allow replacement Ben Feltham to slot his first conversion of the match and establish a 54-22 lead. The final quarter saw Lutterworth pressing hard for the only meaningful event left in the match, a try bonus point of their own. As in the first half they were met with stern defence with several five metre drives being shut down and turned over. Instead it was Bedford Athletic who scored with Archie Duncan collecting a bouncing ball in his own 22 before launching a length of the field counter attack that saw Cassell and Woodhead in support before Duncan finished his own move with his hat trick try, Feltham again converting. At the end Lutterworth did get the try bonus point they were seeking as they capitalised on a dropped ball in the home defence and broke away for the final score of the game.

Bedford Athletic return to action in two weeks’ time when they will defend their position at the top of the table away to Market Harborough with a 3.00pm kick off.