Bedford Athletic Warriors 33 v Biggleswade 24

A hot sunny afternoon saw the Ath seconds playing at Biggleswade with the side containing a combination of both old and new players.  It was also good to see a good representation of last year’s Bedford Blues Athletic colts turning out for the Warriors, who were captained on the day by James Baker.

The start of the match saw both side making unforced errors and it was the Ath who capitalised first with seven minutes on the clock seeing Henry Peters making a nice little break to cross the line for the first try of match.  

The Warriors used this momentum to keep the pressure on Biggleswade, although the next score however, against the run of play, came from Biggleswade on the 20thminute in only their second foray into the Warriors 22.

The match remained at 5-5 until the Ath put together some good phases of play which culminated with Jack Nelson scoring on the stroke of half-time.  Once againthe try was not converted leaving the half-time score 10-5 to the Ath.

The start of the second half saw Biggleswade put pressure on the Ath and the number 8 pick from the base of a scrum on the half-way line to score after breaking a number of missed tackles.  The converted try taking the score to 12-10 in favour of Biggleswade.

Warriors responded well with two tries scored in relatively quick succession.  The first from Jacob Johns who scored under the posts.  The try was converted.  The second try came after the Warriors best five minutes of the game, which saw the Ath string several excellent phases together, moving the ball quickly from the breakdown and scoring their second try under the posts.   Cameron James, who had only just come on to the field was the scorer with his first touch of the game on his debut.  The conversion saw the Ath retake the lead to 24-12.

Biggleswade then decide to play territory and kick the ball log into the Aths half when they had possession.  This resulted in wither in a bit a kicking contest that Biggleswade won or the Ath making handling mistake allowing Biggleswade to keep the pressure on the Ath for the next 10 minutes.  This combined with some poor tackling say Biggleswade score 21 unanswered point.

The Ath rallied for the last five minutes of the match but were unable to score, leaving the final score 33-24 to Biggleswade.