Rochford Hundred 59 Bedford Athletic 7

Bedford Athletic were overwhelmed away to Rochford Hundred going down by 59 points to 7.

Trailing by 38 points to nil at half time the side conceded 9 tries in total in a match where their only score came right at the end of the game with the final move of the match.

Bedford Athletic were off the pace and lacked intensity from the outset and as a result it was not a surprise to concede the try bonus point by the 20th minute. The first try on six minutes saw inside centre Damien Brambley slice through the middle of the defence. The next two tries came about as the result of poor clearance kicks. The first led to a rolling maul and a try for hooker Adam Ferrier and the second to a five metre scrum and a pushover try touched down by no.8 Maciu Nabogi. The bonus point try came from a chip over the defence that led to a 5 metre scrum and this time from a series of phases the ball went wide for second row Sam Fombo to crash over. A period of possession for the visitors halted the flow of scoring but play was too slow to impact the home defence and when the turnover came a series of missed tackles saw the other second row Chris Shields touch down. Further possession for the visitors still brought little in the way of penetrating attacking rugby and the half ended as it had begun with Brambley slicing through the defence following a set scrum for the sixth try. Cameron Greenhall was successful with four conversions in the first half.

The visitors tried to up the pace of their game at the start of the second half with a couple of quickly taken tap penalties. Too often though there was little organisation and eventually a dropped ball allowed centre Chris Dudman to speed away for the seventh try on 49 minutes. The next try arrived on the hour mark following a number of set scrums that saw home no.9 Ricki Gould touch down. The final home try illustrated many of the visitor’s problems as a scrum in midfield advanced and then Rochford quickly transferred the ball across a defence on the back foot to allow right wing Will Ferrier to crash through any number of tackles on his way to the line. Greenhall converted all the second half tries for a 59-0 lead. Bedford Athletic finally got a foothold in the game in the last ten minutes. James Wallace won the restart, a couple of driving mauls rumbled toward the home line, Steve Smith kept probing for space and eventually a clearance kick was well fielded by Glen Mulkerrins, Mike Trigg darted through a gap and Dan Sims was on hand to take the scoring pass to end the game, Smith converting.

The result leaves the side one place and two points above the relegation places and in much need of an improvement in performances and results away from home before a trip to Sidcup on Saturday kick off 3.00pm.